Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Codpast Reviews

In addition to the dyslexia event I have been working on (and that I have been losing sleep over - what if not enough people come, or more people than I thought? What if I let everyone down? I must take more caffeine and manically publicize it EVERYWHERE, I must list all the places where I am doing this, oh I really do need to sleep, it's happening and I can't help it), I've been writing some reviews for a dyslexia podcast, called The Codpast.

The Codpast has a blog, too, and it's really inspiring. When I heard about it I had to ask if I could get involved. It seemed super creative and talented Sean Douglas, who is The Codpast's chief dyslexic, had a similar idea. We began hatching a plan to come up with something I could do to add to the Codpast, while also contributing to my goal of doing things for dyslexics involving literacy.



We came up with these reviews. They are a bit different to what I'd normally do as they are specifically for audiobooks, but still with a dyslexic focus. Oh, and I have recorded myself saying them.

This, was not as easy as I originally planned.

I was going to just write a blog, but I thought with modern technology, (specifically the free audio recording and editing program Audacity), I could arrange it so the reviews were recorded. I thought this would be great, as they were for people who liked taking information in via listening instead of reading words off a page.

I'd used Audacity to record audio to add audio to the Dysbooks website (which desperately needs updating, oh where does all my time go, or right, on things like this blog), this worked fine. I'd also listened to my boyfriend record loads of things using it. I thought it'd be quick and easy.

And so the battle between myself and my boyfriend's laptop began. I couldn't use mine because I don't have the right ports for the headset I was using. His laptop is old, but it is compatible, however, the age of the laptop might have been the key issue. I couldn't get the program to open, then to record properly, initially at all, and then I couldn't get it to stop. There was a point where the laptop just blue screened, and I lost everything I had been working on.

Yet, I believed in my goal. I finally got a full recording, saved it, and got it sent off to Sean. He did some magical things with it and sent me back an edited version, complete with music, and other much needed embellishments. However, the audio quality of the mic I'd used wasn't great, to put it mildly. This became really apparent when edited together with cleaner and sharper audio.

Human, what are you doing? 


Sean asked me about how I had recorded the reviews, and made a suggestion; That I record the audio using my phone while under a duvet. That was what I did, much to the bemusement of my cat, who didn't seem to understand why I was saying the same thing in as close to the same way as possible over and over into my phone, while apparently hiding under the bedclothes.

It was hard to listen to the audio on my phone so I sent copies to my laptop. Which was when I discovered that while they were much clearer and crisper then the other recordings there was electronic interference in all of them from some unknown device.

This time I have had a go at editing together two different audio files using Audacity on my laptop, and sent them off to Sean, I am hoping I have finally, finally got something that will be suitable for The Codpast.

Phew...this reviewing thing is hard work.

If you haven't already, follow The Codpast on twitter and like it on facebook, you wont be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment