Friday, February 1, 2013

Update...

In my last post I introduced Dysbooks, and myself. This time I'm going to update you on all the magical things we have planned over the coming weeks, the biggest of which is work on our first short film. I've messed about with film making before, but this is the first time I've ever spoken into a boom, it was really intimidating, and my friend Laura kept laughing at my facial expressions as she advanced on me with it. I was really worried my cat was going to attack it, but luckily she contented herself with yowling during some of the takes. Thank goodness for editing software.



We only recorded the voice over today, next, is the storyboard, and recruiting people to be filmed. I'm going to be in some of it, as it's partly about my experiences with dyslexia, but I will need other people in it, too. Mark, Dysbooks editor, and my long suffering dyspraxic boyfriend, has declined the opportunity to be in my masterpiece. He helps a huge amount with Dysbooks, so I'm not going to try to force it on him.

In other news, this Feburary the Dysbooks' Book Club (or rather I, as I'm currently the only member) will be reading Spellwright by Blake Charlton.  I cannot tell you how much I hope you will join me, partly as it's not really much of a club if I'm the only one taking part, and because the book has a fantastic concept.



*Cue dramatic music*

In a world where people create magic by writing spells into their muscles, a prophesy is made. A wizard of great power shall come forth to prevent the Apocalypse, this wizard is Nicodemus Weal...or that's what everyone thought, until they realised he couldn't spell. This is something which can have deadly results, as well as preventing Nicodemus from ending his apprenticeship. Despite this, there are those who still believe Nicodemus is the chosen one, and who will do whatever it takes to control him and his abilities.

I had to buy this book, especially as the first page reveled the author was dyslexic, and not only were they a successful novelist, but they are a Yale graduate, and medical student. In short, really cool. It has been hard to resist starting the book early, especially as it's gotten some fantastic praise, and I messaged Mr Charlton via twitter telling him about the book club, and he gave me a lovely response.


We'll have our first author feature soon, and a review of their book. It's called The Spaceship Saga, and Other Stories, by Helen Lawson. It was inspired by her dyslexic son's struggles with reading, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Several people have asked about getting their books and writing projects reviewed. Our current policy is that if you send it, we'll review it. Just message me for details, through facebook, twitter, or the website. I'm happy to help with writing projects too, though I am hoping to turn this into a writing group, instead of individual email correspondence.

That's all for now,

Sarah

(Dysbooks Founder)



No comments:

Post a Comment