Sunday, February 3, 2013

Review - The Spaceship Saga: and Other Stories

When I was young my mother used to read to me every night before I went to sleep, because I loved stories. When she found out I had dyslexia she decided it was essential she do this, especially as it was getting harder for her to get me practice my reading skills, partly as I found it so difficult, and partly because my school reading books were so dull. Her solution to this was to ignore the school books, and to wait until she reached a really exciting part in the story she was reading to me. She would then stop, and tell me if I wanted to know what happened next I would have to read it myself. Over the years she got me to read longer and longer sections, until she was no longer reading to me every night, I was reading to her.

There were other factors that contributed to my reading getting better, but this was an important part of how I overcame many of my reading difficulties, so when I came across 'The Spaceship Saga: and Other Stories' by Helen Lawson, I was very interested to find it had be written so it could easily be read this way. It is the first in a series of books for developing readers called 'Read a Play' where parents and children are encouraged to take turns reading together.



I was still unsure what to expect from the book, and whether it would be any different to reading a play, and if it would actually offer anything different to the huge range of books that claim to improve children's reading skills.  The book is marketed with the suggestion that each story can be read in one sitting, so I also wondered if there would be enough text for it to be worthwhile to use specifically to improve reading ability.

These reservations soon faded away as I began reading the first story. While it is very similar to reading a play, as the series title suggests, it's more of a blend between a play and a normal children's book. Each story lists the characters in it at the start, and they always include a narrator. It is the narrator's sections that are similar to reading a standard children's story, and it is through the narrator that character's motives and thoughts are conveyed, as well as all of the description. The parts where the character's speak are lively, interesting, and often funny. Every story could easily be read in one sitting, but there is plenty of text to read, the book is just written so it feels like you are reading less and at a faster rate, something sure to appeal to many reluctant readers.

I can easily see how it could really help children who are struggling with their reading, or who find reading off putting, but it's also a book all children within it's target age range (6-8) could enjoy.

The author Helen Lawson says she wrote the book after her experiences trying to help her dyslexic son with his reading skills, and reading enjoyment. She found that breaking each story into manageable chunks improved his confidence, and that he loved her amusing and surprising tales.

There is a good mix of stories and parts for male and female readers. Through swapping roles the stories have some re-reading value, and I can see them being enjoyed by siblings. All in all, it would be a fantastic addition to many children's book shelves, and I hope that the series continues.

I just wish this book was around when I was younger.

Sarah

(Dysbooks Founder)

We will be soon be interviewing Helen Lawson, but in the mean time you can find out more about her here: readaplayhelenlawson.blogspot.co.uk. You can buy 'The Space Ship Saga' through any of these booksellers:
Waterstones
amazon.co.uk
Foyles
Barnes and Noble


No comments:

Post a Comment