Thursday, February 7, 2013

Interview with Helen Lawson

Following our recent review of 'The Spaceship Saga', Dysbooks interviews author Helen Lawson about her 'Read a Play' series. You can read our review of the first book in the series here.


How did you come up with the concept for 'Read a Play'?

I’m an advertising copywriter by profession and have always worked with words in one way or another. It was also a burning ambition of mine to be a published writer. I think I was always waiting for the right storyline, the right time, the right reason to start a book and really it was like a light bulb went on in my head when I thought of creating ‘Read a Play’ stories. They’re for our son after spending many nights trying to get him to enjoy reading. He didn't want to read little books any more, he wanted to keep up with his friends but his dyslexia stopped him and also knocked his confidence. After talking with a friend who works in education she explained there might be just too much text on the page and it overwhelms him. It was right then when I had to idea to chop it up into chunks like a play.


Are your books aimed at dyslexic readers, if so, are they aimed purely at dyslexics?

They’re not just aimed at dyslexic readers, no, any child can and does enjoy them from the feedback I’m getting. I just think the concept of only reading every other line and getting to finish the story before bed really helped with our son’s confidence. It really worked for him so I hope it works for other struggling readers, whether they have dyslexia or not. I know of a couple of very confident readers who have been acting the stories out and having fun with them that way, which I love. It also means they begin to put expression into their reading because they follow your lead. Hearing this is wonderful!


Have you always had an interest in writing?

I have always been a writer, yes. When I did Camp America at age 18 I wrote short plays for the children to perform and I used to write a funny poem to read out at the end of their week on camp about their experiences there. After that I went on to have a very varied career, including a stint as a radio producer and a restaurateur. At the age of 31 I became a copywriter, which reminded me of how much I love to write.


Who is your favorite children's author, and why?

As a young girl I read almost every Enid Blyton book there was. I just loved them. Oddly though I don’t think they've stood the test of time with me because when we read them now they feel very dated. I find myself changing the language a bit as I read it out. Roald Dahl, on the other hand, is timeless. I’m reading The Witches with our 8-year-old girl at the moment and every night as I go to tuck her in she gives my hair a tug just to check. It’s magical.



What was the hardest part of writing your book, and getting it published?

I got extremely, extremely lucky to get published so quickly. I’m still not quite sure how I managed it. I put a status update on Facebook asking if I knew anyone who knew anyone who worked in publishing and it turns out I did. I sent them the first draft of my first story, Football Madness, along with an explanation of the concept and I got a publishing deal 3 months later. The hardest part was trying to be patient. That’s not something that comes naturally to me. Waiting to get the actual book in my hands felt like a lifetime when actually it was only about 10 months.


What advice would you give to writers who are just starting out?

Keep writing. Keep plugging away. Talk to people. Try and find someone who knows someone who knows someone and keep going. Also, always go back to your work a few weeks after you’ve written it. Even if you think you’ve finished, you’ll find things you want to change and amend and you can do that better once you’ve had some time apart from your work.


Is there anything else you would like to say about yourself, or your work?

I really want to make writing ‘Read a Play’ books my career and see them on children’s bookshelves across the world. I love the idea that it makes parents and carers read together with children and I feel excited and very passionate about making this little idea work. I’m also still freelancing to pay the bills and even though I’m working on new stories it’s difficult sometimes to juggle work, children, writing and our two dogs. Fingers crossed someone somewhere picks it up and sees the potential not just in this idea but also in me and then I can realise my ambitions for ‘Read a Play’ books.


You can find out more about Helen on her blog:
http://readaplayhelenlawson.blogspot.co.uk/

'The Space Ship Saga' can be purchased through any of these booksellers:

No comments:

Post a Comment